Thursday, January 5, 2017

What the Heck?

I teach preschool at a delightful little private school in Kentucky. It's an inclusive school, which means I have many students with special needs in my classroom who are learning alongside typically developing students. It's a model of learning that I personally believe in and love. It teaches tolerance, empathy, and patience. 

This will be about my classroom's journey toward building a Rube Goldberg Machine. 

What's a Rube Goldberg Machine? Great question! It's an overly complicated machine developed to complete a (usually) mundane task. 

This guy here is pretty fun...

I have one member in my class who showed up the first day completely in love and obsessed with a marble run. His love and joy became infectious and spread to the entire class. A member of the office staff at school decided to show a YouTube video of a Rube Goldberg machine and my class was mesmerized. She and I decided then that we had to make this happen! With 4 year olds. Hmm. 

This is that journey, and, hopefully, I will be able to post a completed video of our machine by May.

No comments:

Post a Comment